AREAS OF PRACTICE
Matt Oster is a partner in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution department of Wolf, Rifkin, Shapiro, Schulman & Rabkin, LLP. Matt has extensive experience defending and prosecuting complex civil actions in the California federal and state courts with an emphasis on employment, health, and class action matters. Matt also has considerable experience assisting on appeals to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the California Courts of Appeals.
Matt was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers™ in America (2022 and 2023 Editions) for Litigation – Labor & Employment, as well as a Southern California Super Lawyer since 2020. In 2020, the Daily Journal named Matt among its Top Labor & Employment Lawyers and the Los Angeles Business Journal named Matt among its list of professionals who are “Thriving in their 40s”. In 2021, Matt was among the notable experts from the Southern California business community whose insights and predictions were included in a Los Angeles Times virtual panel discussion on economic trends and headlines likely to shape and impact the business landscape in California in 2021.
Matt has successfully litigated more than ten large class actions or putative class actions in California on behalf of a wide variety of clients, most of which placed dozens or hundreds of millions of dollars at issue. These matters concerned such allegations as misuse of private information, false and misleading product labels, employment discrimination, wage and hour violations, inadequate disclosures on Internet websites, technical statutory violations and unfair competition. Matt also has successfully represented clients in dozens of other high-value complex civil litigation matters, including defending multiple qui tam, Federal Trade Commission, professional liability, trade secret, copyright and unfair competition claims and defending and prosecuting various other business disputes. Matt’s clients come from such industries as healthcare, retail (both Internet and brick-and-mortar), travel, manufacturing and real estate. Matt has particular expertise in the healthcare field, advising and litigating on behalf of providers.
Matt is licensed to practice in California and before the U.S. District Courts in the Central, Eastern, Southern and Northern Districts of California.
- Juris Doctor (1997), New York University; Moot Court Board; recipient of the 1997 Samuel Goldstein Award for Academic Excellence in Labor Relations
- Bachelor of Arts with Honors in Psychology (1994), University of California at Berkeley
Member of the State Bar of California
HONORS & OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES
- Matt has been recognized as a Southern California Super Lawyer since 2020
- Matt participated in the Los Angeles Times 2021 California Economic Forecast and Predictions Roundtable
- Matt is a Los Angeles Business Journal 2020 Thriving in their 40’s Honoree
- Matt is a Daily Journal 2020 Top Labor & Employment Lawyer
- Matt was recognized among The Best Lawyers in America (2022 and 2023 Editions) for Litigation – Labor & Employment