AREAS OF PRACTICE
Jeff Finn is Of Counsel in the law firm of Wolf, Rifkin, Shapiro, Schulman & Rabkin, LLP. He is a seasoned technology lawyer serving start-up, emerging growth and multinational corporations. Mr. Finn approaches his practice with single-minded focus: to help his clients meet their business objectives in the most efficient manner.
Mr. Finn’s expertise in the field of intellectual property law is wide and deep. Leveraging his background as an electrical engineer, his substantial litigation, counseling and licensing experience, and USPTO and Federal Circuit practices cross industries and technologies as varied as mobile hardware and apps; cryptocurrencies, e-payment and banking systems; information technology systems; wireless communications (e.g., GSM, LTE, satellite, microwave/millimeter wave) hardware, software and standards; computer and processor architecture; location-based services (LBS); and medical diagnostic and therapeutic technologies.
Mr. Finn has handled many significant, cutting-edge, litigation matters that are important to his clients and to the patent bar, including arguing, in a case of first impression before the Federal Circuit, the standard for patent prosecution bars and arguing in the context of Markman and “on-the-pleadings” hearings the patentability of computer-implemented business method patents under 35 USC § 101. The strategic use of the America Invents Act’s post-grant review procedures in parallel with district court actions, transferring cases out of “rocket docket” jurisdictions and providing cost-effective representation of multiple defendants in suits brought by non-practicing entities (NPEs), are other examples of how he uses the law to help his clients.
Mr. Finn also advises on all aspects of IP matters, including start-up advisory work, drafting and negotiating licensing, IT, software and confidentiality agreements, M&A deals and public offerings, IP portfolio sales, product rollouts, and bankruptcies. Examples of such counseling include portfolio evaluations, licensing in and out, due diligence, and opinions. Mr. Finn has served as an editor of the Practising Law Institute (PLI) treatise, Patent Litigation, and has authored numerous intellectual property-related articles and primers for high-tech companies. He has spoken and written on cutting-edge patent issues for Continuing Education of the Bar – California (CEB), PLI and state bar associations, and is a past member of the planning committee for the University of Southern California Gould School of Law Intellectual Property Institute. Jeff was formerly a partner at Sidley Austin, LLP and Katten Muchin Rosenman, LLP.
- Juris Doctor (1996) University of Southern California School of Law
- Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering (1988, Deans List, Eta Kappa Nu, Tau Beta Pi Honor Societies), University of Illinois at Chicago
- California (State Bar No. 185,248)
- US Patent & Trademark Office (Reg. No. 51,679)
- Supreme Court of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Courts (Pro Hac Vice): Arizona, Delaware, Southern
- District of Florida, Maryland, Southern District of New York, Western
- District of Pennsylvania, Eastern District of Texas, Eastern District of Virginia
HONORS & OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES
- Best Lawyers in the area of Patent Litigation (2013-2021)
- Southern California Super Lawyers (2020-2022)
- USC Intellectual Property Law Institute Planning Committee (2011-2015)
- Chapter Editor PLI Treatise Patent Litigation 2nd ed (2014)