Matt Oster is a partner in the Litigation & Dispute Resolution department of Wolf, Rifkin, Shapiro, Schulman & Rabkin, LLP. Matt has extensive experience defending and prosecuting complex civil actions in the California federal and state courts with an emphasis on employment, health, and class action matters. Matt also has considerable experience assisting on appeals to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and the California Courts of Appeals.
Matt is a 2013 Super Lawyers Southern California Rising Star who has successfully litigated more than ten large class actions or putative class actions in California on behalf of a wide variety of clients, most of which placed dozens or hundreds of millions of dollars at issue. These matters concerned such allegations as misuse of private information, false and misleading product labels, employment discrimination, wage and hour violations, inadequate disclosures on Internet websites, technical statutory violations and unfair competition. Matt also has successfully represented clients in dozens of other high-value complex civil litigation matters, including defending multiple qui tam, Federal Trade Commission, professional liability, trade secret, copyright and unfair competition claims and defending and prosecuting various other business disputes. Matt’s clients come from such industries as healthcare, retail (both Internet and brick-and-mortar), travel, manufacturing and real estate. Matt has particular expertise in the healthcare field, advising and litigating on behalf of providers.
Matt is licensed to practice in California and before the U.S. District Courts in the Central, Eastern, Southern and Northern Districts of California.
Areas of Practice
Employment Litigation and Counseling
- Employment Class Actions
- Wrongful Termination
- Wage & Hour
- FMLA, CFRA
- Handbooks and Policies
- Company Asset Protection including Competition, Solicitation, and Trade Secrets
Breach of Contract and Business Torts
- Consumer Class Actions
- FAL, CLRA, UCL
- Copyright, Trademark, Trade Secrets
- Professional Negligence
- Real Estate and Construction Defect
- Corporate Practice of Medicine
- HIPAA, CMIA, Privacy
- Medical Staff Disputes
- False Claims Acts, Whistleblower, Qui Tam
- Juris Doctor (1997), New York University; Moot Court Board; recipient of the 1997 Samuel Goldstein Award for Academic Excellence in Labor Relations
- Bachelor of Arts with Honors in Psychology (1994), University of California at Berkeley
- Member of the State Bar of California
Honors & Outside Activities
- Matt is a 2013 Super Lawyers Southern California Rising Star.
- Matt currently serves as the immediate past President of the Board of Directors of the Disability Rights Legal Center, a Los Angeles based not-for-profit legal services agency that advocates, litigates and educates to advance the civil rights of persons with disabilities.