Heidy Vaquerano is a senior associate in the Los Angeles office of Wolf, Rifkin, Shapiro, Schulman & Rabkin, LLP with over 16 years of experience in entertainment law and intellectual property matters. Ms. Vaquerano has represented various clients in the music industry, film and TV, and tech industries. She has extensive experience drafting and negotiating complex agreements in development, production and distribution of intellectual property. Prior to joining Wolf, Rifkin, Shapiro, Schulman & Rabkin, LLP, Ms. Vaquerano ran her own diverse boutique entertainment practice where she represented a wide range of clients including actors, Grammy nominated musicians, global merchandise companies, film and television producers, writers, production companies, independent record labels, and tech start-ups and consultants.
In addition to her law practice, Ms. Vaquerano is also an experienced professor at local universities creating curriculum that incorporates true passion for all aspects of entertainment, tech and new media and its associated legal components. She has lectured at various entertainment and tech industry events including, MIDEM in Cannes, France on behalf of the International Association of Entertainment Lawyers, Silicon Beach Fest for Digital LA, Techweek LA and Innovate LA. Ms. Vaquerano is also the managing director of Girls in Tech LA, a global non-profit focused on the engagement, education and empowerment of women in technology.
Areas of Practice
Tech & Intellectual Property
- Review and negotiate agreements for new media including mobile and web applications, multi-channel networks, web content, and e-commerce.
- Draft and negotiate deal term sheets and software/firmware and technology licensing agreements for virtual reality hardware devices.
- Provide counsel and advice on intellectual property matters for clients including copyright, trademark and trade secret.
- Draft, review and negotiate exclusive recording agreements and music publishing agreements with both major and independent labels.
- Negotiate master use and synchronization licenses, marketing and promotion agreements, registering recordings and compositions with performance rights organizations and Copyright Office.
- Sample clearance, work for hire agreements, production agreements, copyright, trademark and name and likeness licensing, merchandise agreements (including e-commerce).
- Draft and negotiate agreements related to live performance, broadcast, branded tours, tour sponsorship, tour personnel, tour marketing and promotion, photography and video licenses.
Film & Television
- Draft, review and negotiate various agreements for talent, producers and writers with both major and independent studios and networks.
- Production counsel for independent films and documentaries that included advising clients on clearance issues and providing risk analysis.
- Negotiate and draft development and production-related agreements, including talent agreements, crew agreements, option agreements, life-story rights agreements, location releases and material releases.
Licensing & Merchandising
- Representation of intellectual property owners, mobile application developers, music artists, record labels, producers, licensing agencies and licensees in the negotiation and enforcement of various merchandising agreements.
- Southwestern Law School, Los Angeles (2008, J.D.)
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles (2004, B.A.)
- California State Courts
- California State Bar
- Women in Film
- Women in Music
- National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (NARAS)
HONORS & OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES
- Managing Director, Girls in Tech
- Professor at various schools
- Volunteer with various non-profits in tech sector