Michael W. Rabkin is a partner with Wolf, Rifkin, Shapiro, Schulman & Rabkin, LLP, and is manager of the firm’s Real Estate Department. His practice involves all aspects of real estate transactions, including purchase and sale of individual properties and multi-property portfolios, development and leasing of industrial, retail and office properties.
In addition, Mr. Rabkin represents numerous community associations such as townhomes, high rise condominiums, and planned unit developments.
Mr. Rabkin has been awarded an AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell. An AV Preeminent rating reflects an attorney who has reached the highest of professional excellence and is recognized for the highest level of skill and integrity.
Areas of Practice
Community Association Law
- Advising boards of directors and providing general corporate counsel with regard to all aspects of community associations
- Making recommendations regarding development related issues
- Interpreting existing and preparing new governing documents (CC&Rs, Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation, and Rules and Regulations)
- Guiding clients through insurance bad faith and related litigation matters, including insurance claim settlement and negotiation
- Representing associations in connection with governmental agency issues, challenges, requirements, and compliance matters
- Creating strategies for responding to all aspects of natural disaster related issues
Real Estate Law
- Extensive experience in real estate matters, including drafting and negotiating leases, purchase and sale agreements, loan documents and guaranties, easements, options, general contractor and subcontractor agreements, CC&Rs, environmental indemnities, property management agreements, consulting services agreements, maintenance contracts, legal opinions and letters of credit, handling title matters and 1031 exchanges, landlord-tenant matters and legal research into a broad range of real estate issues
- Provide counsel regarding matters concerning the Subdivision Map Act and registrations with the California Department of Real Estate
- Juris Doctor (1988), University of Southern California Law Center, Los Angeles, California - Irmas Scholar
- Bachelor of Arts Degree (1984), University of California Los Angeles - Chancellor Scholar
- Member of the State Bar of California (Real Property Section)
- Member of the Los Angeles County Bar Association (Real Property Section)
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Listed in California Super Lawyers (2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Serving as counsel to non-profit organizations on a pro-bono basis, and serving as a director, as requested, including Habitat for Humanity, MAK Center for Arts and Architecture, Pacific Resident Theatre, the Los Angeles Conservancy, and others
- Community Associations Institute - Greater Los Angeles Chapter (CAI-GLAC) past President
- California Legislative Action Committee (CLAC) Legislative Chair
- Regular lecturer on issues relating to community associations and real estate law