Jay-Jay Lord is an experienced music industry professional and transactional attorney in the areas of entertainment law, intellectual property law and contract law. Mr. Lord represents prominent recording artists and songwriters, Grammy® award winning record producers and mixers, multimillion dollar entertainment companies, personal managers and production companies, and various film and television actors, actresses and producers in a wide variety of matters.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Mr. Lord spent nine (9) years working in the artist development, sales and marketing departments for such prominent music companies as A&M Records, MCA Records and Fanscape as well as the licensing department for the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP).
In addition, Mr. Lord has served as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney in the District Court Division of the Department of the Prosecuting Attorney for the County of Maui.
Mr. Lord is licensed to practice law in both California and Hawaii.
Areas of Practice
Music, Television, Entertainment & Digital Media
- Represent recording artists, songwriters, record labels, music publishers and management companies in the review, negotiation and drafting of recording agreements, publishing agreements, management agreements and music licensing and distribution agreements
- Review, negotiate and draft songwriter, producer and mixer agreements
- Review, negotiate and advise clients in connection with talent, producer, writer, director and location agreements for cable and network television
- Review, negotiate and draft technology licensing agreements, digital content production agreements and digital distribution agreements
Merchandising & Licensing
- Represent intellectual property owners, merchandise companies, licensing agencies and licensees in the review, negotiation and drafting of various merchandise agreements and licensing agreements, including master use and synchronization licenses
- Review, negotiate and draft artwork agreements and photo license agreements for the exploitation of copyrighted pictorial and graphic works
- Ensure copyright and trademark protections and registrations and counsel clients in the licensing and exploitation of their copyrighted materials and trademarks
- Advise clients and resolve ownership of rights, chain of title and clearance issues, including the review, negotiation and drafting of certificate of employments and work-for-hire agreements
- Prepare confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements for individual privacy rights and company trade secrets
- Draft cease and desist letters and takedown notices to enforce clients’ intellectual property rights
- Would You Like to Play Again? Saving Classic Video Games from Virtual Extinction through Statutory Licensing, 35 Southwestern University Law Review 327, 405 (2006)
- Juris Doctor (2006), Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, California; Cum Laude
- Bachelor of Music in Music Business (1994), University of the Pacific, Stockton, California; Cum Laude
- Member of the State Bar of California State Bar, Intellectual Property Section
- Member of the State Bar of Hawaii (Inactive)
- Vice President, West Colonial Villas HOA (1999 - present)
- Special Projects Editor, Southwestern University Law Review (2005-2006)
- Recipient of CALI “Excellence for the Future Award” for highest grade in Entertainment Law, Drafting & Negotiating Technology Contracts (tied), Legal Research and Writing I, Wills & Trusts and Criminal Law (2004-2006)