Edward Weiman is a seasoned entertainment, media, and intellectual property lawyer with twenty years of litigation experience. He has handled a wide variety of disputes on behalf of nearly every major film studio and television network, as well as independent producers, individual artists, and other production entities. Prior to joining Wolf, Rifkin, Shapiro, Schulman & Rabkin, LLP, Mr. Weiman was a litigation partner in the Los Angeles office of Kelley Drye/White O’Connor.
Mr. Weiman specializes in disputes arising out of copyright and trademark infringement; idea submission; talent, production, and distribution agreements; and media liability insurance. In the process, he has proven himself to be a trusted advisor to his clients before litigation, offering candid evaluations of litigation risks and potential outcomes, and a tireless advocate once litigation arises, handling countless cases over the years, many through trial and appeal when settlement was not an option.
Mr. Weiman also lectures and publishes extensively on copyright, trademark and idea submission law, with articles featured in California Lawyer, Los Angeles Lawyer, Intellectual Property Today, Museum Magazine, InsideCounsel, and Communications Lawyer, among others. He is a member of the Board of Editors of Entertainment Law & Finance, and a contributing author on media liability insurance for California Insurance Law and Practice, and New Appleman on Insurance, a national treatise on insurance law.
In addition to litigating entertainment and intellectual property matters, Mr. Weiman has also represented a number of non-entertainment clients in high-stakes, complex litigation involving trade secret theft, construction defect insurance, securities fraud, and the Telemarketing Sales Rule.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Mr. Weiman worked for many years in virtually every aspect of television and theater production and production management in Philadelphia, New York, and Los Angeles, including long-term staff positions with MTV Networks and HBO.
Mr. Weiman is licensed to practice in California and before the United States District Courts in the Central, Eastern, Southern and Northern Districts of California. He has litigated matters in numerous jurisdictions, including California, New York, Hawaii, Illinois, Missouri, Nevada, and Texas.
Areas of Practice
Entertainment & Media Litigation
- Talent, Production and Distribution Agreements
- Idea Submission
- Media Liability Insurance Recovery & Bad Faith
- First Amendment
- Ad Sales
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Copyright Infringement
- Copyright Ownership & Termination
- Trademark Infringement
- Inter Partes Proceedings, Trademark Trial & Appeal Board
- Domain Name Protection
Complex Business Litigation
- Construction Insurance Recovery & Bad Faith
- Trade Secret Theft
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act and Telemarketing Sales Rule
- Executive Compensation
- Securities Fraud
- Partnership & Joint Venture Disputes
- Juris Doctor (1997), University of Southern California Law School - Recipient of the Judge E. Avery Crary Award and Barger & Wolen Written Advocacy Award; Champion and Executive Board Member, Hale Moot Court Honors Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Communications (1987), University of Pennsylvania, Annenberg School of Communications
- Member of the State Bar of California
- United States District Courts in the Central, Eastern, Southern and Northern Districts of California
- Named one of Southern California’s “Super Lawyers” by Los Angeles Magazine in 2006, 2007, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016