Wolf, Rifkin, Shapiro, Schulman & Rabkin, LLP
Los Angeles Office
Partner | Los Angeles
11400 West Olympic Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90064-1582
Partner | Los Angeles
Chris Heck is a general litigation partner at Wolf, Rifkin, Shapiro, Schulman & Rabkin, LLP. He focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation, antitrust, insurance coverage, trade secret and corporate governance/fiduciary liability disputes, but he also has considerable experience in tax disputes, class actions, and real estate litigation. His clients run the gamut from a large Wall Street bank, to energy and alternative energy companies, to smaller concerns in the entertainment and new media industries. Mr. Heck also counsels clients on litigation avoidance, and on business and transactional issues. He has substantial courtroom and trial experience in state and federal courts and in arbitration, and has also served as an instructor on civil and trial practice techniques for younger lawyers, including legal writing and witness preparation and examination.
Areas of Practice
- Breach of contract
- Business torts
- Unfair competition
- Partnership and corporate dissolution
- Insurance coverage and bad faith
- Trade secrets
- State and local tax
Antitrust and Trade Regulation
- Price fixing
- Resale price maintenance
- Exclusive dealing
- California state antitrust law
Publications and Reported Decisions
- Contributing Author, Market Definition in Antitrust: Theory and Case Studies, (American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, forthcoming).
- Author, Columbia Iron and Steel Seeks Certiorari on Ambiguous Verdict. American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, Antitrust Trial Practice(Winter 2009).
- Author, Concerted Action and the Preemption of State Fair Trade Provisions After Leegin, 2009 Columbia Bus. Law Rev. 853
- Author, Horizontal Collusion is Necessary for Antitrust Preemption: The Seventh Circuit’s Decision in Flying J, Inc. v. Van Hollen. American Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law, Business Torts and RICO News: Vol. 6, Issue 4 (Fall 2010).
- Juris Doctor (1994), Duke University School of Law, Durham, NC
- Article Editor, Duke Law Journal
- Bachelor of Arts in English (1990), cum laude, Columbia College, Columbia University, New York, NY
- American Bar Association -- Antitrust Section
- State Bar of California -- Litigation and Antitrust Sections
- Los Angeles County Bar Association -- Litigation Section
- Disability Rights Legal Center -- Board Member (2004 to present), Treasurer (2006-2010), Vice President
- Los Angeles County Bar Foundation - Member of Finance Committee
- City Club on Bunker Hill
Honors & Outside Activities
- Recipient of State Bar of California’s Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services - June 2006.
- While a partner at Kirkland & Ellis, one of three recipients of 2005 California State Bar President’s Pro Bono Service Award for Large Firm.
- “Rising Star” in Antitrust Litigation by Law & Politics Magazine - 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007.
- Certificate of Commendation from City of Los Angeles for work as Deputy Counsel in Rampart Independent Review Panel—2001.
- Deputy Counsel to Los Angeles Police Commission’s Rampart Independent Review Panel. Coordinated portions of investigation and authored sections of the Panel’s final report.
- Instructor on Antitrust Law for the American Management Association, 1997-1999.